Endless space, strong winds, waves. The sea is a place of longing that also keeps on attracting SAILMATE founder Anna. But the intense experience of the forces of nature has been joined in recent years by another observation: Plastic and pollution. Anna decided to take action and chose the most exciting material from her sea adventures for her brand accessory: Sails.
Sails withstand the elements, they are reliable and virtually indestructible. But in order to withstand the extreme weather conditions on the high seas, they have to be replaced regularly. This has turned them into waste, at least until Anna stepped in and made used sails the core resource of her accessory line. Since 2018 she and Marko have been designing bags, aprons and other beautiful things for companies and brands that offer their customers not only nautical flair, but also sincere sustainability. The possibilities and options of product design as well as branding are endless.
Why products from SAILMATE are so good
- Resource gentle: to avoid waste and overproduction SAILMATE produces on demand only. Plus: Sails are highly durable and can be washed at 30 degrees in the machine using high-twisted and sealed PES fibers.
- Upcycling: at the end of their first life on sailing boat sails are waste, SAILMATE however gives them a second life
- No new materials: Upcycling avoids new production, less polyester fibres are needed
- Social: social impact production possible (in Amsterdam and Hamburg with workshops that employ migrants)
- High quality material: The functionality of upcycled sails is far better than comparable materials (i.e. cotton, leather) in terms of durability and maintenance (dirt repellent, washable)
- SAILMATE has invested in digitalisation to optimise the process of designing and sample-making to speed up the customer service and avoid CO2 emission.